1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Va Caregiver Program

Discussion in 'Entitlements' started by Vtownstrider, May 5, 2013.

1. Vtownstrider

Vtownstrider New Member

Hello Everyone,
    I am new to the site, so if this program has been covered in entitlements, please disregard. A buddy who served with me told me about a caregiver program where your spouse or significant other could qualify to receive a stipend for taking care of his or her combat veteran. I am 50 percent PTSD and my wife has gone through a lot taking care of me so I owed it to her look into it. It turns out she qualified and after a home visit, an interview with my therapists, and an online course she had to take through Easter Seals, we are waiting on the final ok. If anyone wants further information on the process, please feel free to contact me. It is not about the money, although it is nice. It is about my wife receiving help and the recognition she deserves. Unfortunately, the program is open to post 911 vets but once approved, I hope to become an advocate for all combat veterans in every era.
    Sarg, JarHed and <Col-A> like this.
  2. Spock

Spock Well-Known Member

My buddy just told me about something that sounds just like this. Thanks for sharing VT!
  3. super-dave

super-dave Active Member

What percent rating of PTSD do you have to have to qualify?
  4. JarHed

JarHed Well-Known Member Can Ban

Hey VT

Sounds like a great program. Is there a link to more info on it? I think it would help a lot of people here.

JarHed
    <Col-A> likes this.
  5. Vtownstrider

Vtownstrider New Member

6. Vtownstrider

Vtownstrider New Member

Anyone interested would just have to google VA family care-giver program and the info you need to apply is all there.
    <Col-A> likes this.
  7. Sarg

Sarg Well-Known Member Can Ban

VT, I would recommend everyone go to VA.gov, instead. All the VA's programs are there with full instructions and fillable PDF forms to file directly for various benefits. That way, one of the guys might find that they qualify for more than one program.

Oh, how I love the internet, VA employees can't hide behind 6 inch thick manuals anymore.

Sarg
    <Col-A> and JarHed like this.
  8. Vtownstrider

Vtownstrider New Member

Roger that.
  9. Spock

Spock Well-Known Member

Nice! Knowledge is power
  10. marc

marc Member

Hey guys I wanted to put in my 2 cents. My wife recently became my VA caregiver. Your eligibility is based on your conditions. For example if you sleepwalk you may need someone to keep you inside the house. If you have cannot cook because you forget what you are doing you may need someone to cook for you. Make a list of all the things your care giver would be/is helping you with. After they establish a clinical need they will select a stipen category 1-3 three being the highest. The categories are based on how many hour/week direct care is needed. Someone with PTS alone (no other physical or mental concerns) is most likely to be in category 1 or 2 if your symptoms are constant and required frequent trip to the hospital in the past.
    Sarg and <Col-A> like this.
  11. Spock

Spock Well-Known Member

Thanks for the timely feedback Marc!