1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Us Va Deceptive Tactic - Tbi Vs. Ptsd

Discussion in 'Entitlements' started by Anthony, Feb 23, 2011.

1. Anthony

Anthony Here In Spirit Staff Member Administrator

It seems the US VA are doing everything they can to reduce the number of PTSD diagnosis, thus reduce the number of invalidity pensions as a result, as Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI) is not compensable for pension like PTSD is, so suddenly the increase in diagnosis for TBI has increased over 400%, and lowering PTSD diagnosis equivalently.

Don't get me wrong, professionals admit that there is a slight overlap between them both where misdiagnosis occurs, as with most mental health, but the sudden increase does not seem to mimic this crossover.

I must give it to them... they are tricky where possible. Any soldier around an explosion, they are trying to fit under TBI as their way out of disability compensation.

Saying that... there are a lot of veterans who once get onto disability, they become malingerers and don't try and get better, as the money's in the bank each week, so to speak. So I do get their attitude, though I don't like the deceptiveness when real suffering is passed over because the soldiers trauma happened to be an explosion basis.

Friday likes this.
  2. track108

track108 Member

the va still wont admit i have ptsd even though its been diagnosed by two private doctors so they wont help me. i dont even want the money i just want the help.
    My discharge is being reviewed by the naval discharge review bored maybe if they bump it up to general under honorable the va will be more apt to help me, they said when i was in that i had acute combat stress and a personality disorder from before i joined and lifelong depression it was just a rubber stamp to say nope he isnt messed from combat he was like that before the war

3. Anthony

You may want to look into this more: http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504763_162-20013690-10391704.html and there are myriads about this if you search.

There was action taken about this... you may want to research TBI, PTSD, Personality Disorder in Google and see what, if any, results came out of this. Basically, the US military got caught pulling all nasty sorts of shit, ie. diagnosing soldiers with personality disorders and dishonorably discharging them, when they have PTSD due to deployment, this way they don't have to treat the soldier or give them compensation.

4. track108

track108 Member

i saw this alot with me and my marines the personality disorders and lifelong depresion were always on the list as well as acute combat stress, we had 400 marines in my unit and not one had been diagnosed with ptsd, 400 marines in combat. From what ive read its like an average of 1 in 10 combatants will have ptsd so that means 40 ofbut they try to cover it up in the marine corps. We had one guy kill his 2 or 3 year old son cause he wouldnt stop crying, we all knew he had ptsd before it happened but they wouldnt help him its disgraceful and it infuriates me to be cast aside and told im just trying to soak up money, i dont even want the money i just want the help and maybe a therapist who is trained to help combat vets

Anthony likes this.
  5. Anthony

I have to agree, that mentality from them is disgusting, to say the least.

Whilst this doesn't fix the issue now, I am about to start my therapy diploma for credence only, to open as part of the PTSD Forum, an interapy site for self paced therapy and cheap consultation in conjunction with. That will be about 2 - 3 years away though unfortunately...

Whilst anyone can already provide counselling services, without qualification, I figure it best to have them for nothing other than credence for professionalism. I will only be helping PTSD, nothing else.

6. femalevet

femalevet Known Member

I think you are going to be great at that Anthony. You really tell it like it is and you do not sugarcoat anything or try to baby any of us at all and I think that is the best part of the help I have gotten here from you as well as from OldAussie guy a and a few others. I do not like to be talked to as if I am some fragiel piece of ceramic pottery that might break anyway as that is never the way I was ever treated by anyone in life so I do not expect anyone to sstart now...there is a difference between compassion and empathy and being a enabler and allowing people to continue on in their bad habitual thinking I guess right? I might not enjoy it when people call me on my pity-parties but i know I like it because in the long run I suppsoe it will help me more than anything else. That is one of the things I like about talking to other veterans is the no-nonsense approach most of us tend to have. So good on ya for being one of the future good ones out there to be helping people. There are a few others from here who should get into the therapy thing as well I think because there a few who would probably make pretty good ones...not just you!

7. Another point is that some of us have both TBI and PTSD, whether officially diagnosed or not. Subtle differences from milder TBI can be overlapped by PTSD symptomology, as I understand it. It may only be possible to be certain of the TBI efects if the PTSD ever gets well enough under control that the overlapping portion of symptoms is in abeyance at times. But I don't undertsand why they don;t consider TBI a disability situation...neither TBI or PTSD is curable, but I haven't heard anything that can put TBI effects into abeyance at all. Do you know more about that, Anthony? (Or anyone else...)

8. femalevet

femalevet Known Member

nothing at all has alleviated my TBI effects so far. The headaches are usually followed pretty closely by severe mood swings and changes in behavior (like I can behave very aggressively which is totally never been a part of my behavior before). I do not know if it is the headaches that are causing the mood changes or if they are just another part of the TBI and to be honest no doctor seems to know if they are separate symptoms or if they are related. Some think they are separate and others think the mood changes and behavioral changes are just because of the headaches getting so bad.

9. Abnvet

Abnvet Known Member

I count my ptsd diagnosis as lucky. It took several years and a divorce for me to seek counseling. The luck was I found a doctor while I was still on active duty who took an abundance of notes and had experience being inserted in combat areas to talk with soldiers immediately after their experiences. This doctor submitted his notes to my medical file and I made many copies for myself before I separated. I had the VA rate me at 40% and have since had this increased to 60%. I see a counselor with the VetCenter (VA sponsored). I used to see him once a month but now its down to once every 2-3 months because of my work schedule. Its been 20 years since my experiences and I have come to terms that I need to talk about them.

Anthony likes this.
  10. Sarg

Sarg Established Member

Abnvet,
    I go to the Vet Center as well. Outstanding outfit, can't say enough good about them.

Anthony,
    I thought they compensated for TBI? Or are they substantially compensating lower for a TBI diag. than they would for PTSD? I'm right with you on te stuff the VA pulls, it took me 30 years to be cmpensated at the 100% rate. I was originally diag. as 10% "anxiety disorder" in 1969.

As long aspeople like Dr. Norma Perez still work at the VA, things will never change.

Sarg

11. Ted

Ted Active Member

There is a lot of misinformation concerning the VA. They do have their challenges, no doubt. But both TBI and PTSD are potentially elgible for compensation if the case meets the criteria. To be elgible for compensation, any condition must have been caused or aggravated while on active duty. Secondly, the condition must result in significant disruption of the veterans ability to work and function in the civilian world. The fact that a veteran has a condition doesn't mean anything of itself. First the veteran must show that it was caused or seriously aggravated while on active duty. If the veteran had the condition prior to active duty, they would have to document the extent of the condition prior to service, the aggravating incidents, and the extent of the condition post service. Similarly, the fact that the veteran has a condition and that it was caused or aggravated by the veteran's service does not necessarily entitle the person to compensation beyond treatment at a VAMC. The person must document that the condition itself disrupts their life, primarily their ability to be fully employed at a level appropriate to their education and abilities. And of course, to be elgible for any VA benefits the person must have an honorable or general under honerable conditions discharge.

In my twenty years of group therapy I helped a lot of veterans with their claims. Many had a problem proving they were involved in a qualifying situation. They seemed to feel the VA should just know. It doesn't. The person has to provide documentation. Many did not understand or make any attempt to show a connection between the incident(s) and the impact on their current situation (inability to work). They seemed to feel the VA should just know. It doesn't. Many had a problem interacting with the VA benefits administration. In group we coached people through the system.

I also know a lot of Veterans who I know to have ptsd and/or other service connected problems who are simply unwilling to present themselves for therapy and evaluation, in part due to their image of the VA. It is up to the person to present to the VA for evaluation and therapy and treatment. Or not.

Of course, a complicating factor for those of us with ptsd is a feeling that the institutions that should be supporting us ought to know and ought to facilitate the process and if they aren't willing to do what they ought to do, screw them. Any person with ptsd has to manage that feeling in order to get support.

Ted

atilla, OldDoorGunner, Chris and 3 others like this.
  12. Kevin

Kevin New Member

I have been diagones by two VA doctors with PTSD..... BUt the comp and pen doctor said I was bipolar, and they denied my claim TWICE!!! The lawyers wont take my case , cause they said there wasnt enough time to get it ready before a appeal. This is the way our country repays us. I have a TBI rating to.

13. Sarg

Sarg Established Member

Kevin, has the 60 days expired since you denial! If not, to preserve your claim date and not have to reopen your claim, you need to file a Notice of Disagreement. You do not need a special form, a plain sheet of paper will suffice and it can be hand written. If your handwriting is as bad as mine and print it out. Simply state that you disagree with the rating official's determination and that you intend to appeal the decision. Be sure to include your "C file" number. It will be a capital letter C- and then some numbers. Sign it, date it and if you're right down to the wire on time, and you can drive to your Regional office and have it date stamped, they should give you a copy.

Gather your service records, med records and everything you have sent always make copies..

Then go to www. hadit.com . There are ladies and gents there that know VA rules and regs backward and forward. They will assist you in putting together an appeal.

Be advised, tho', appeals now are taking several years to go through the system. But if your appeal is properly organized with help from hadit and use of their own regulations, It could go through quicker.

Good luck!

Sarg

14. william

william Known Member

I get 100% from the VA for PTSD. That being said, I see no money as I received a large separation package from the army. So until 2021 I get no money. I had to go through civilian government for SSID to get any compensation, as I have been fired from two jobs for fighting. I am told by my doc that I am unable to work for the rest of life, because of the PTSD and the headaches. Well, fine then, but I will always try to find the right combo to get better.
    Besides I love to work with computers. It is a real passion for me, why would I want to give up 3600 dollars for 900 dollars.
    I personally don't understand malingering. To me it makes no sense. As for TBI, I refused to tell them about the artillery stuff, because I was told not to in 2003 by a friend. They still will not admit for us Kfor vets or for you guys coming from OEF OIF that we were exposed to chemicals. I really hate the Government, and wtf about General Eric Shinseki. He was our commanding general in Sfor/Kfor, you would think he would stick up for us more. I guess that's what is called leading from the rear. After all he gave my Beret away to the entire Army.

15. MikeyPiro

MikeyPiro New Member

Kevin,

You also do not have to have a lawyer take on your claim. There are a number of service organizations that can help you maneuver the system for claims. The VFW, American Legion, Vietnam Vets of America will all take on your case and help you get your review. It will take a while, but they offer these services to Veterans free of charge.

16. william

william Known Member

Several lawyers are also hired by the government to do these services. I know Karl Demoulet was the person who took my case this is in ohio. He was hired by the state of Ohio to help veterans.

17. kevinmc

kevinmc New Member

OK I have been going to a vet center for counciling.
    As I understand it they cannot administer medications. I am looking for something that works that isn't narcotic "like". So my question is mainly two fold.
    What do you recommend for sleep? I have heard Trazadone?
    And do I need to go to the VA or do they arrange that at the vet center?
    Does a disability rating need to be established first? I have been concerned about approaching the VA because it will become a matter of record and I have enough against my employment history without adding a disability.
    I work in the medical field so this complicates my diagnosis.
    Once I am stereotyped under the PTSD stamp I am not certain I can retain my licence or if it is a mater of public record. (To be honest I would not hire myself knowing what I know about me and have myself assess to narcotics with the relapse rate of PTSD clients)
    If anyone knows the answer to any of these questions I would certainly appreciate a little more advise.

18. Ned

Ned Established Member

Kevin, have a look at what FUBAR has to say regarding Cypralex breaking the anxiety 24/7 thing.
    My GP put me on a course of Cypramol (UK version) and I'll endorse everything FUBAR says.
    It gave me the wiggle-room to let my own head start working on things.
    I was really worried about the profesional thing too, but honestly the only reaction I encountered was 'fair enough, mate'.
    I know there's arseholes out there who will diss you for it but if it wasn't that it'd probably be something else.......

19. Sarg

Sarg Established Member

First off, Mikey, one has to be very careful in picking a VSO to represent them. Far too many of them are very cozy with the VA, working in the same building off-times only doors away from rating officials. Many times the really good ones are so busy that they can't take on another claim. In the thirty years it took me to get properly rated, I went through three different service orgs. and finally wound up taking over my own claim and working it. I won, but it was a rough road.

Kevin, I can't speak highly enough of the Vet Center. Please consider them for continuing therapy. Yes, in order for you to get meds for PTSD you'll have to enroll in the VA health care system. Yes, the folks at the Vet Center can tell you exactly how to get enrolled. No, you do not have to have a rating to go to the VA Medical Centers. As a medical professional, you surely should be aware that all treatment with the VA falls under HIPPA rules and regulations. No one but you will even know you are receiving care at the VA.

The responsibility falls to you to determine if your PTSD will conflict with your occupation or license to practice. On the plus side, I can refer you to a Veteran on another Vet board that was a practicing mental health professional for many years after his
    PTSD diagnosis. I personally worked my entire career with a PTSD (or the ancient equivalent) diagnosis. It was difficult and I did not rise to the level of professionalism (registered Engineer) that I had set my goal for. About the time my career started to fall apart, I was rated properly by the VA and didn't lose my home or anything like many do.

I do not make recommendations on VA medications. I have a great deal of "heartburn" over some of the, and I will use what I think to be the proper designation for said drugs, poison, that I was prescribed by the VA. I will say if you are prescribed a medication by the VA, investigate it very thoroughly before taking it.

If I may be of further assistance, let me know

Sarg

atilla and Jimmy like this.
  20. william

william Known Member

I take restoril for sleep. It is gentle in getting you there, and then gives you eight hours give or take. I also use valarian root. Valarian stinks and tastes bad so in pill form is the best. Some other things to try along with this is to drink hot tea, herbal, and make sure to cup your hands around the cup as this adds to the sleep sensation.