1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Guy

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by mikeRVN, Nov 9, 2012.

1. mikeRVN

mikeRVN New Member

I'm a Viet Nam veteran. Wounded Tet 68 by an RPG that destroyed the APC I was driving. HHC Recon Platoon, MOS 11D, 2/34th Armor, 25th ID. 1oo% VA disability for combat wounds and PTSD. Originally from Mt Clemens, MI and now reside in the Pacific NW.

Actually I've always gotten along with my wife despite my PTSD. I think of my home as my safe place, somewhere to hide from the world. I was in group therapy with other RVN vets but was told to leave. I seems can't get along well with people, mostly men. I believe my PTSD was created after I came home from the war. We were hated back then; by are own age group and even WW2 vets. You had two choices, join the hippie revolution and drug out or keep it all in. It was like a boiling tea kettle with the lid on.
  2. Jimmy

Jimmy Well-Known Member Can Ban

Welcome mate. There are some other old farts on here. lol.
    tho9900 likes this.
  3. Tim Cake

Tim Cake Well-Known Member

Welcome Mike!
  4. reddevil1111

reddevil1111 Well-Known Member

Welcome and all that. :)
  5. Anglesachse

Anglesachse Well-Known Member

Welcome to the fold mike brother.

Plenty of old folk here who saw what you saw. The rest of us know what your talking about.

Pull up a sand bag, and use the safety of our little bunker to sort your head out.

Rant as you must, read when you can and post as you wish.

Hang tough brother
    tnkg1rl likes this.
  6. Zipperhead

Zipperhead Well-Known Member

7. JarHed

JarHed Well-Known Member Can Ban

Welcome Mike

'Nam vet here. Also went there during Tet '68. I was with 2/27 outside of DaNang near hill 55. Glad you made it this far brother. Lots of Nam Farts here as well. Great place and people.

I kinda' went 'native' when I got back. All the drugs kind of took your mind, what there was of it, off all the other stuff.

JarHed
  8. Patrick Hardesty

Patrick Hardesty New Member

Welcome Mike! I am also an old Vietnam vet. Was there during tet of 68 also 69. I kept everything bottled up for some 40 years. I just started group.
  9. tnkg1rl

tnkg1rl Active Member

Welcome Mike, I'm not old I still appreciate your service. Your right it's a totally different ball game, I was a Veterans Advocate for a Congressmanss office before I moved, and I met so many awesome people that are suffering from the generation gap that your talking about. Now it's not so much about being hated, just really misunderstood, so at least the constant misunderstanding is consistent no matter what conflict you were in.
  10. sunviper

sunviper New Member

Welcome Mike
  11. tho9900

tho9900 Well-Known Member

Welcome Mike, glad you made it here... pretty safe place....
  12. Sarg

Sarg Well-Known Member Can Ban

Nuther banged up Nam Vet here. Hey, flew 105 ammo to the Marines at Khe Sanh Tet 68. That's where our C-130s got the nickname "mortar magnets". later got into night interdiction over the "trail". Oh, what fun!

Welcome

Sarg
    Tim Cake likes this.
  13. 1StLAR0341

1StLAR0341 New Member

I respect you
  14. Tim Cake

You flew with "Spooky"?
  15. Sarg

Sarg Well-Known Member Can Ban

Naw, "pre-Spook". We tested a lot of different platforms for them, starlight scope, flare systems and a bunch of stuff I didn't want to know about, but was at Ubon when the old Spectors showed up. I don't know what in hell keeps those birds in the air with all the crap they've got hanging off them these days.

Did you know they now have a 155mm sticking out the left troop door?

We "evolved" the Blind Bat Mission. We were originally strictly flarship. But when we got the scopes in, we went to detection, interdiction. Saved on flares, better detection without lighting up the sky. Laid in a couple of marker flares and tried to get the jet jocks to connect the dots. (Good luck).

I read recently, they're gonna build a super highway down the trail. Should be easy work, we already cleared all the heavy stuff. Ha!

Sarg
    Tim Cake and tho9900 like this.
  16. Tim Cake

Ahhh..... Ubon, Udorn, Tak Le and Nakhon Phanom. :censored: Naked phannie for you insiders:censored:. A lifetime away from now... I always liked to see the AC-130 Spectres wipe out the bad guys...(y)